It’s that time of year again – Time to put another year to bed and start fresh with a renewed sense of energy……Right? It’s also the time of year where we are usually all most hopefully and make a number of resolutions/goals and try to stick to them for January at least. I mean if you didn’t set yourself a new years resolution did you even enter into a new year??? If you’re not feeling at all motivated this year why not embark on a deep clean, purge old or unused items that you didn’t use in 2019….After you clean why not do some home decorating to a small or large scale and give yourself some new scenery to set off your 2020. Personally I know I am both excited about a new year and terrified. My terror mainly comes from the fact that I have 13 exams this year as part of the Barrister-at-Law degree :(.
So with further adieu lets get talking about goals. This year my goals can be divided into 6 different categories – Diet, Fitness, Wellbeing, Study, Blog and Life. Overall within those 6 categories I have set myself approximately 24 goals. WHAT?!? That’s unrealistic you might say but hear me out! Some are minor changes and some are large. I made sure to talk them out before setting them to ensure that they were somewhat realistic especially given my limited capacity for the first 6 months of the year.
- Follow a sustainable diet
- Basically everything that I listed in my previous post about sustainable eating. I want to do this not only for the planet but for health reasons too.
- Another aspect of ‘sustainable eating’ for me in 2020 will be ensuring that I stick to a regular eating schedule. I often found in 2019 that I would forego eating a proper dinner in the evenings, opting instead for convenience food or a light snack. This would generally end up with me eating crap prior to heading to bed. In order to do this I plan on trying to meal plan and prep during the week!
- Use My Fitness Pal again
- I have a love/hate relationship with MFP and tracking food but I vow to track food for the first couple of months of 2020, mainly to track that I am hitting all my micros etc.
- In terms of overall body composition – I would be looking to lose some weight and to pare down my body fat %
- Swim twice per week – Growing up I was a water baby and loved swimming. It’s something in my life that I’ve neglected completely ever since I reached my 20’s. I want to get back into it this year in the hopes it will assist with stress relief and my overall well being. I plan on possibly taking a class or two at some point just to check in on technique and get some coaching!
- Go to the gym twice per week – this will be included with the above swimming goal but I hope to get in two gym sessions. This should be doable as I already try and get one in at the circuits class on Wednesday morning, as well as a personal training session.
- Run 3 times per week – this is the one I am least enthused by. My goal for the coming weeks is to run 3km, 3 times per week to build up time on feet. I have tried to embrace running so many times but I fail each time due to lack of consistency. Here’s hoping starting this way will keep me on my feet more consistently and allow me to build up fitness and increase my distances over time.
- Read twenty books – Follow me on Goodreads to keep up to date on what books I am currently reading/want to read.
- Practice stoicism – aka – ‘I cannot control nor rely on external events’
- Meditate everyday using the headspace app – this is something I began doing in the New Year and found it really helped
- Yoga/Stretch daily – I don’t want to be very prescriptive with this and that is why I have included to stretch daily as an alternative.
- Work on my posture – I used to dance and have extremely good posture but the more time I spend working a 9-5 desk job the more my posture suffers. This is something I really want to work on in 2020.
- Begin and actually maintain a skincare routine – I have been fortunate enough in life to be blessed with pretty normal skin, I’ve pretty soft skin and have never had any real skin issues hence my lack of a routine and laziness when it comes to skincare.
- Finish Barrister at Law degree
- Practice French when possible and aim to book/sit exam by end of 2020 – given how manic the first 6 months of 2020 are going to be with Inns I don’t think its realistic for me to practice everyday so this will be something I will focus on more in the latter half of the year.
- Get published in a legal journal – I do a lot of research in my job and I am very interested in the area of law I currently work in so I just need to try and carve out time to actually put pen to paper. Something I will probably focus on in the latter half of the year.
- Post 2 blogs per month
- Prepare monthly budgets – I have created a budget template, feel free to access it here – Monthly Budget Template.
- Save €2000 – I think well hope this is a realistic goal considering I am still in the throes of paying for the Barrister at Law degree 🙁
- Pay off Kings Inns
- Use Revolut on a day to day basis rather than my bank card in order to track spending – hopefully this will assist me in projecting my outgoings for budgeting and also keep me in check on what I am actually spending my money on.
- Use bujo and google calendar simultaneously to plan each week – this is something I currently do with my bujo but want to try integrate using google cal also.
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day. Aiming to wake up between 5.30am – 6.30am by end of 2020.
So there we have it, my goals for 2020. I hope to do check ins on the blog to keep myself accountable and many of the goals above will also contribute to a number of blog series so keep a look out!